Thursday, July 18, 2013

Tall Ships Race

While the Chief battled overgrown trees, bees and the roof at our new home on his first day of holidays, I took the Weans to the Tall Ships Race. It comes every three years, alternating between Turku and Helsinki. 

The Hietalahden Harbour was full of sailing ships, food and souvenir tents and people. We went aboard one ship, but there were plenty to visit and some even offered to let you sail with them. The kids walked for about 4 hours but really seemed to enjoy themselves. We eventually found the children's area which was in a park, so we rested the last hour with pancakes and jam, some games and Circus Helsinki. Though they'd seen them before at a couple of events, they were mesmerised by the circus, but I think they were just happy to sit down and relax. I know I was. At seven months pregnant, pushing a buggy with one child, sometimes two is no longer much fun. Luckily, it wasn't as roasting as it has been the past few weeks. 

A few photos of our adventures. 




Not sure what she's doing here, I swear I don't teach her these things. 

Most of the ships were modern, but I really liked the Götheborg which actually looked like a proper pirate/sailing ship. 




Mouse wore his pirate hat the whole day and Bump has suddenly decided she wants her hair in a pony tail. 


A sign of a good day out. Glasses added and picture taken by Mouse.

The Chief got a lot done as the Weans were not underfoot and I'm not sure who is the more tired tonight, me or him. Fingers crossed, it means I'll get a good sleep tonight as they are few and far between just now. 

We've got a painter coming in to help with the massive job of painting the wooden ceilings and other woodwork upstairs in the new house. Hopefully I'll have some before and after photos of that soon. We hope to move in end of next week if he can be finished by then and if we can finish the rooms we're doing. 

Still more work to be done and an ever-growing list, but we'll get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...